Saturday, May 17, 2014

OB -part 1

****And, the internet is back!  It left us after some very heavy rains, and then a few days later, email came back, and now website access is back!****

Tuesday, 13 May 

The day started simply enough: rounds on the post-op OB and gyn patients.  I met Dr S on the ward and together we checked all the patients.[1] We started a feverish patient on antibiotics, we cooed over babies and oohed and ahhed over well healing scars.  One patient was a bit worrisome: a  woman who was about 29 weeks into her 3rd pregnancy, carrying spontaneous triplets.  Her water had broken about 1 week ago – we were hoping to keep her pregnant until 30 weeks.  She had already gotten steroids to mature the babies’ lungs and this morning was complaining of labor pains.  A speculum exam revealed what appeared to be an unchanged cervix.  Tocolytics (medicine to stop labor) were prescribed and off we went, done in plenty of time to get breakfast.  (It helped that we ran into the surgery team still doing rounds.  One of the attendings was pimping the residents and I overheard this gem: “Well, it’s hard to have an ectopic pregnancy with a negative pregnancy test.”  That alone gave us hope that the OR wouldn’t open up for at least another 15 minutes). 

The first case was a myomectomy.  The patient, a young woman, presented complaining of abdominal pain and infertility.  An ultrasound had revealed what appeared to be a dermoid cyst (a cyst composed of all 3 germ lines – the kind of tumor that grows hair, teeth, etc).  Our job was to remove the cyst.  The case was a relatively easy one, and went fairly quickly.

We had just finished the case, and were talking about the next one lined up (another myomectomy) when one of the scrub techs burst into the room and said only, “cord prolapse coming now.”  He had no further information other than that, so I set off down the corridor to find out who this was and if it was real.  As I stepped out of the OR suit, I see two of the OB nurses flying down the corridor, pushing a stretcher.  One of the normally sanguine nurses was repeating over and over, like some sort of awful mantra, “cord, there’s a cord, cord…” [2]  Now, the double doors leading to the OR suite go directly into an area that requires proper shoes, a face mask and a head cover.  So, the nurses just slam the gurney through the doors and then disappear (they usually eventually reappear once appropriately dressed, but that can take what seems like a really long time).   I yelled for gloves, and checked the woman’s cervix.  Now, I have never seen (felt?) a cord prolapse before, but it was not a subtle finding.  As soon as my fingers touched the cord, I knew that the nurses were right.  Happily, the cord was still pulsing, and thus supplying the baby with blood and oxygen.  My job was to use my fingers to lift the baby’s head off the cord until the child could be delivered. 

Dr. S had come out of the room by this time, and I confirmed that this was a real cord prolapse.  And soon, the nurses from maternity were back.  The patient, who I had not recognized, was the woman with triplets.  The tocolytics had not worked (as they often don’t) and when they saw the cord on the most recent cervical exam, they just ran with the woman down the corridor. 

29 week babies in the US survive in NICUs all the time.  29 week babies in Cameroon, in a hospital with no pediatrician (let alone a NICU doc) and ancient incubators, do less well.  But, there were no more options at this point.  The patient had declared herself. 

The time from the call announcing the patient to that same patient being sedated with ketamine was probably no more than 15 minutes.  But, standing there, with my hand in her vagina, holding that tiny (though oddly heavy) head up, felt like a very, very long time.  I heard Dr. S say, “Just get the betadine on her belly!”  The scrub tech kept trying to keep me clean, and in doing so, was going a bit slow.  “It’s okay to prep me, too”  I said, and he visibly relaxed and preceded to paint my arm orange.   Then the ketamine was in, and I was mostly covered in the drape, and the belly was open and soon I felt another hand above mine, lifting the head.  The first baby, a boy, was out.  For some reason, no one was ready for the baby. The cord was cut and clamped and the baby lying on the drape, but no one was coming to collect it.  Dr S had moved on to the next baby, so I picked the baby up wrapped in my scrub top and walked over to the baby table (just a table with warming lights).  Luckily anesthesia was there with some oxygen and the nurse had gotten the kit open so we had towels to wipe and stimulate the baby with.  Soon all three babies were born – 2 boys and 1 girl.  All doing okay.  We determined that all were stable enough to move back to maternity.



The next few hours felt very long.  The incubators had not yet warmed up, so we moved the babies yet again to the birthing room where there was a warmer table.  The pulse ox was unreliable, the HR monitor was unreliable.  One baby had a glucose of 40, but on recheck 2 minutes later it was 120.  It was hard to know what to trust outside of what I could actually see and touch on the babies.  One of the medicine residents was there, and together we talked through each decision.  CPAP.  Antibiotics.  IV fluids with dextrose.  At some point, the babies were all stable-ish on CPAP.  All this before 11:30am.  Then it was off to clinic for 30 minutes before a quick lunch. 



[1] Dr. S is a 4th year OB/Gyn resident from the USA about to start a MFM fellowship.  She is incredibly kind, and from what I have witnessed, very skilled.  She is here for 1 month together with her husband, an internist. 
[2] A cord prolapse is when the cord slips out of the cervix before the baby.  With the cord dangling out the cervix and the baby’s head simultaneously pressing against the cervix, the baby can cut off his blood supply and die. 

No comments: