Well, the rain has arrived. The last time I mentioned rain here; I believe I said that it only rains two times a year in Bahai. Apparently, that is how is USED to be. In talking with folks

around here, I have discovered that last year the month of July was apparently one long flood: rain every day, roads flooded, landing strip flooded, etc, etc. So, here I am bearing witness to the fact that it definitely can rain more than 2 times a year in Bahai.
Last night was the first “grande pluie.” Luckily it came in the evening – just after we had all arrived back at the compound for curfew. I dashed to the common room with my computer in hand just at the rain was starting at about 6pm. The rain did not stop until 10pm. The courtyard in the compound (courtyard is a strong word, it is really just the sandy area in the middle of all the buildings) was flooded, and the temperature dropped to at least 70F. It was great sleeping weather. Plus, the generator was up

and running the whole time, so we were happy. When I finally did make it back to my room, I found that there was a leak in the roof right above my bed. That was sad. But, I flipped the mattress, spread out one of my wrap-around skirts for a sheet, pulled on a long sleeved t-shirt, and dreamland wasn’t far off.
Today, I am at work. The day started out simply enough. Going into work, the weather was still cool, the clouds were dispersing, the sand was nicely packed (good for easy walking), and we found the office filled with a lot of large puddles of water – half an inch deep in some places. Luckily, we arrived a bit early and were able to pick up all the electric cords out of the water before the generator was turned on. That could have been bad.
I worked fairly steadily (you know, only checked my email 6 or 7 times an hour – sort of pathetic when you consider that my morning is the middle of the night for most people who send me email) until about 1:15 when I went to go find folks to walk back to the compound with me. It was then that I saw the large, black, ominous

cloud hanging directly over head. “I can beat it,” I thought. However, by the time I got back to my office to pack up my computer, the rain was falling. There is not really such a thing as a light rain here. It is true that at the very beginning of the rainy season it will sometimes drizzle or get so humid you think it is raining, but once the rains have begun, every rain is a BIG storm. I am particularly aware of the rain here because of the corrugated iron roofs. The tempo of the rain, and the force with which it falls is not only heard but also felt in the vibrations the roof sends down to the floor below. I find it quite pleasant, really. There is something very companionable about huddling together* inside, unable to speak because of the shear noise of it, but knowing that the water is filling up the lakes and lowering the temperature. And there we sat for the next hour, each lost in our own thoughts, until finally the cadence of the rain slowed, and the sun began to peak through the shades.
The walk home was a wet but happy one. In my experience, desert people are always so happy after a rain. It is a good feeling to walk through the village when everyone is in such a good mood. So, while I wouldn't want it to rain like this everyday, it is nice once in a while.
*We were huddled together because there are so many leaks in the roof there are very few spaces to sit where you won’t get dripped on.
6 comments:
Love the photo of the sky. Your description was perfect...I felt refreshed myself after reading this entry.
it is just like monsoon season in tucson. except our monsoons have been occurring at night. and we have missed them the last couple of days. i must agree they make excellent sleeping weather.
Rain is fun. What is the temp during the day? 70 sounds warm for the night in the desert.
dust storm,
then rain,
next snow???
all we have in california is forest fires,though i think that it is highly unlikely you will got those.
We've had some great thunderstorms in Boston this week and I agree that the pitter pattering is great for napping and sleeping.
no rain in Santa Cruz, but I do remember fondly the thunderstorms in Cleveland and other Est coast places I've lived. And all those baseball games called on account of fear as your dad used to say.
Post a Comment