Friday, July 11, 2008

elle a la grosse fesse

This evening I was standing around with some of the other staff just chatting. Dr. P is from Congo-Brazzaville, Dr. L (the first African woman doctor I have met who has not left the continent!) is from Chad, but grew up in Senegal.

"Cristine," Dr L said out of nowhere - we were talking about kwashiorkor - "you look good in a skirt"

"Oh? Thanks."

"Yes, you have the figure of an African woman."

Here, Dr P laughs. "She has a big butt."

Dr L smiles and says, "Yes, but without a big butt and big hips like cristine has, you can't wear the skirt properly. It would just fall off."

Dr. P: "You have a good point."

Dr. L : "And, when she wears a head scarf, well, she could be African."

Dr.P: "That is because of her big nose."

Keep in mind, folks, that I was standing right there. Having thus diagnosed me worthy of wearing a typical West African skirt (brightly coloured, ankle length, wrap-around) and of having a large nose, we moved back to the subject of protein malnutrition.

I have been told before that I "look" African - in Morocco they said I looked and bargained like a Berber woman (though in that case, I don't think it was a compliment) and I was more than once told in Cameroonian markets that I looked like someone from the Middle East. I always find these comments kind of curious given my very white skin and freckles, but I must grant the big butt and generous hips.

I spent all of today and will spend all of tomorrow in a conference regarding malnutrition - of all types. Most of the information I actually learned in school this past semester, but I certainly never knew how to say "rickets" in French before. And, I learned today that drinking tea can impede the absorption of iron - which is important in a society where protein for women and children is fairly scarce, and drinking tea is something everyone does - and in great quantities. (although, I've just done a Pub med search to find an article to link too, and all I could find were articles saying that there is no evidence to support this tea/iron link. i will have to inquire about this tomorrow.) Anyway, despite some cultural differences (I prefer air movement and dust while Chadians prefer tightly closed windows and stagnant, dust-free air; I am early to most meetings, for many Chadians "early" means 30 minutes late; my preference for interactive learning vs the admittedly international problem of reading of power point slides to one's audience - might be me against the world on this one) the training was well organized and enjoyable. Hopefully, it won't be so hot tomorrow (hahahaha!).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be curious to know what you find out about the iron absorption issue. I have heard similar things about both tea and coffee...but like you, haven't seen the research to support it.

Anonymous said...

Brune, M. Rossander, L. Hallberq, L. “Iron absorption and phenolic compounds: importance of different phenolic structures” European journal of clinical nutrition, 1989 Aug; 43(8): 547-57

Sean said...

these conversations are great! It is hard to imagine an Irish girl looking African but I am glad you can pull it off. Who know's maybe we have some african in our O'Gradyness!!!